Monday, January 7, 2013

Children poisoned while Grandmother used barbecue to dry washing

Four young children had to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after their grandmother brought a barbecue indoors to dry her washing.

The woman, who has not been named, lit the device which she set up in the family kitchen before leaving the house.

Her three-year-old granddaughter collapsed when she was overcome by the deadly gas later that afternoon and was treated in hospital with five of her relatives.

They included two boys aged two and 10 months, a four-year-old girl and the woman's two daughters-in-law, aged 26 and 29.

Firefighters were called to the home on Hockley Avenue, in East Ham, east London, on Wednesday afternoon, soon after the grandmother set up her make-shift launderette.

Louisiana Mall Evacuated After 200 Person Flash Mob Goes Wrong

East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s deputies Saturday night investigated what appeared to be a large fight involving as many as 200 juveniles in the Mall of Louisiana food court as well as outside the mall, a sheriff’s spokeswoman said.

Deputies responded around 6 p.m. to a report of fighting at the mall, Casey Rayborn Hicks said in a news release.

No injuries or weapons being drawn were reported, Hicks said.

Inmates sue alcohol companies for their crimes

Five inmates at the Idaho State Correctional Institution are suing national beer and wine companies for $1 billion, claiming that alcohol was responsible for their crimes, the Associated Press reports. The civil suit alleges that they were not sufficiently warned about alcohol's addictive properties.

The inmates, who do not yet have an attorney, drafted the litigation themselves.